Monday, September 20, 2010

School Started

So School started last Wednesday, the 15th of September. They take the first day of school seriously here. They all walk their kids to school, and bring flowers for the teachers and director (principle) and there is a ceremony outside before anyone is allowed to go in. The have this traditional bread with honey.
This is the bread, one person holds it, and the person next to them holds a bowl of honey

Each kid gets a ripped off piece dipped in honey and then they walked under a wreath, held by 6th graders, into the building. The 1st graders went first, cause it's kinda like a holiday for them. They make this huge ordeal outta it. The director gives a speech, the mayor sent his regards via Dori my counterpart, they recite some sort of poem thing, all the parents huddle in the back of the class taking pictures and video. Its like a ceremony and its kinda cute, I forgot my camera otherwise I'd put pictures of it up.
I went into the school at the end of the week to see when I could have time with the kids and what type of stuff they want to do. I could just pick something, but I'd rather them be interested. I suggested art classes, eco classes, sports, learning english etc. I have a meeting with the 1st graders tomorrow; then progressively I will meet all the classes, and slowly I can organize some sort of schedule of activities. Things move slowly over here, its hard to get used to, but as the Bulgarians say Споко (relax)
So this weekend was cпоко, I went to the beach and had a bonfire with other volunteers in the area. We had hot dogs and brownies, sometimes good ole american fun is best.
Sara and I set up the seats; Aaron, there in the bck, was in the group that did the hard work of making the pit

Hot dog buns (baguettes) salad and dip

Brownies



PS
look what I found in Varna

yes, that is on tap Guinness

No comments:

Post a Comment